It's a fact that more boats and boating equipment are stolen during the summer months than at any other time of the year. Also, most boat thefts occur on the weekends, especially on Friday, then Saturday. Don't let your clients become another statistic; share these theft prevention tips for a safer year of boating.
- Make an inventory of all your equipment, including manufacturer's model and serial numbers.
- Take photos of your boat and equipment for documentation. Place this information at home in a secure place.
- Keep your boat registration, bill of sale and title papers at home. Do not leave it on the boat.
- Don't leave your keys in the boat while unattended.
- Remove electronics and equipment from the boat when not in use.
For an additional layer of protection your clients can also employ modern technology to monitor their boats through geofencing and GPS tracking devices. Geofencing creates a virtual perimeter around the boat so if the boat moves through this perimeter it will send an alert to the owner. While, GPS tracking uses a combination of GSM cell networks or satellite communications and websites or text messaging to give position updates in near real time which can help to recover boats sooner.
- Store your vessel in a secure area so that it is not easily accessible. You may consider mounting motion sensor lights and/or a close circuit video surveillance system.
- Lock the trailer tongue with a pad lock and secure the trailer to a fixed object using a chain or steel cable with a heavy-duty lock. If a fixed object is not an option, run a chain through the rim and around the trailer frame and lock it with a heavy-duty lock. If you plan on not using the boat & trailer for a long period of time, consider removing a wheel.
- When traveling, keep the trailer attached to your vehicle. Back the trailer up against a fixed object preferably a wall. This will make it more difficult for thefts to steal the boat & trailer.
For more information about boat insurance policies, give Casey Insurance Group a call at 888-537-1412 today!